Chula Vista Area Parish Receiving a Makeover
January 26, 2010
Renovations to the St. Rose of Lima Parish are one step closer to completion.
The project involves building a new two-story, 24,000-square-foot education center and refurbishing a statue of St. Rose of Lima at the Chula Vista church and school.
The statue was given four layers of paint, two clear coats and gold flecks everywhere except her hands and face. It weighs approximately 500 pounds and was restored for the first time since she was placed on the parish’s original school building in 1948.
The education center building will have 10 classrooms, two additional preschool classrooms, a science center, computer room and a library.
All classrooms will be equipped with interactive SMART Board technology, which combines a whiteboard with a computer. All the rooms will accommodate the K-8 school as well as parish educational functions.
Erickson-Hall Construction Co. along with Domusstudio and Associates Architecture are heading this project’s building and design services, where both expect the project to be completed by summer 2010.
“All phases of the master plan for St. Rose of Lima have been envisioned with the goal to create a vital, service-oriented church campus in a downtown environment and be implemented in phases while not interfering with any existing function on a very, very active church campus,” said David Pfeifer, principal at Domusstudio, in a statement.
The Education Center is the first of three phases planned for the St. Rose of Lima campus. Once all phases are completed, the campus will include a new two-story Parish Hall and a new 1,500-seat church facility.
Other contractors involved include Martin & Libby Structural Engineers; T Squared Mechanical and Electrical Engineers; Rick Engineering and DPA Landscape Architects.